What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Requesting large amounts of historical data through the API

Votes:

Okay so I'm programming an internal program which uses the API to create Excel files, custom graphs, and other dataformats other than the built-in PDF format. I have read that you pipeline and restrict the amounts of API calls to a specific amount to reduce stress on the servers. But my question is, if I do more than 5 requests within a couple of milliseconds of each other (what seems to be the limit AFAIK) what will happen to the those requests except the 5 first ones? Will I get a statuscode first and then wait for a datastream? Will the request just not reach? Will the API queue all my requests and then each of them just arrive a couple of minutes of one another depending on the amount of requests I do? What can I expect from the API so I can handle this properly in my code?

api historical-data http-api prtg

Created on Oct 15, 2019 9:54:30 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Rasqall,

Here is the response I got from my development team.

The core will queue exceeding calls by stalling them until less than five call are currently active (also there's guarantee given that the 6th call will be answered as the 6th).

Currently, the limiting is in place for the API calls to genreport.htm and all types of historicdata (cvs, json, xml).

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 17, 2019 2:00:03 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.