What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to send a custom notification to e-mail

Votes:

Hello,

I was wondering, is it possible or how hard would it be to make something like - When I open an critical sensor (red error) and click right mouse button or where ever, and there would be an option to generate an e-mail about this error.

Why I need that - we use Jira for issue management, and incident creation takes quite some time for our NOC team, because of all the info they have to copy over from PRTG to Jira. Now I know that notification triggers exist, but the thing is that not all the errors need to be registered as incidents, our NOC team decides which errors need to be registered at what occasions, so simple trigger won't work. Therefore I'd need an option to be able to generate custom notification to an e-mail (which then registers that problem in Jira, that's an automated process).

The scenario - I see an error (sensor) -> I open it -> I decide it needs to be registered in Jira -> I right click or choose from menu something like "Send this error" -> It either then sends it to my predefined e-mail with predefined placeholders, or it lets me choose from user/group list -> Then the issue gets registered from that e-mail using an automated Jira <-> e-mail integration.

Something similar would be the "Ticket" registering, but when sent to an e-mail it really doesn't hold any important data or no placeholders can be used, so issue registered from that kind of e-mail would be just a waste of time.

I really hope I made my self at least a bit understandable, and I really hope that there is a way to make this happen.

e-mail generate notifications prtg trigger

Created on Oct 15, 2019 7:04:49 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello reinispro,

Thank you very much for your post.

I was reading through the ticket and immediately though about the "Send E-Mail" option from the sensor's context menu, but eventually saw that you've already figured this out yourself.

Unfortunately, it's currently not planned to make changes here and the "Send E-Mail" option only contains the URL to the sensor, so it's basically just a wink à la 'Look at this' with no additional information.

So it's either this or the aforementioned notification triggers. Maybe with some more precise sensors that only alarm in a very specific condition.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 16, 2019 7:34:30 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.