What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Packet Sniffer Sensor doesn't recognize network adapter

Votes:

I'm new to PTRG so please bear with me.

I am attempting to add the packet sniffer sensor to my local probe. When configuring it, the network adapters setting is grayed out and says "No network adapters available." I currently have the onboard NIC collecting SNMP traffic. I also have a PCIE NIC with two interfaces. I'm hoping to use one of those to receive traffic using SPAN.

I have searched for awhile and haven't come up with a solution. One thing I found was to check the administration tool in the Probe Settings and Monitoring tab to make sure the interfaces show up and select auto. That looks fine to me.

One other note, I'm able to capture traffic through wireshark on all of the interfaces.

Hopefully I'm just missing something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

no-network-adapters-available packet-sniffer prtg

Created on Oct 19, 2019 4:25:20 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for the KB-Post. Do the NICs have both MAC and IP-Addresses set in their WIndows NIC-Settings? Usually having those not set it the problem, when PRTG reports "No network adapters available".

best regards.

Created on Oct 21, 2019 9:03:51 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, all three interfaces have physical and ip addresses.

ipconfig output

Created on Oct 21, 2019 3:56:29 PM

Votes:

Okay, then we need to check the logs here. Please forward us a Support Bundle including the system log files for analysis, with a note to this KB-Thread here please.

This can be done via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface.

Created on Oct 22, 2019 10:40:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 22, 2019 10:40:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay, I've sent the support bundle.

Thanks!

Created on Oct 22, 2019 2:52:50 PM

Votes:

Hi,

What was the solution for this issue? I am experiencing similar.

Thanks,

Created on May 2, 2020 9:12:30 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please check whether the engine NPCAP is installed on the server where the Probe service runs. PRTG needs this engine to list the network cards.

Created on May 4, 2020 6:58:41 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz, thanks for the reply, I reinstalled npcap separately as suggested by support and it is now working fine and I see all adaptors , it is strange as I uninstalled Wireshark/npcap and reinstalled it previously and it didn't work, perhaps it doesn't like the Wireshark/npcap bundle.

But working now so all good :-)

Created on May 4, 2020 1:29:27 PM

Votes:

Hi, I have a similar problem except I could see all my network adapters and sniffer was working ok. Today, with no new software installed (Except windows 2004 release being installed) there is only the loopback available to select. I have no npcap, winpcap was installed. I installed PRTG onto a clean install of win10. In administrator I can see the wifi nic. Can you help me resolve this

Created on May 28, 2020 11:24:35 PM

Votes:

Hello,

The newer versions of PRTG do not use winpcap anymore, so please install npcap and check if the interfaces are being shown.

Created on May 29, 2020 10:30:27 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

i uninstalled winpcap and installed npcap and that didn't fix it.

I left it for 3 days and now it is working again. Maybe the win10 2004 upgrade broke something that they have now fixed.

thanks

Created on May 31, 2020 12:15:28 PM

Votes:

Problem occurred after Win 10 2004 upgrade. No interfaces were being shown. Uninstalling npcap and installing npcap ver 0.9995 resolved issue for me. Thank you Moritz : )

Created on Jul 19, 2020 1:21:37 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.