What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG update process is unsuccessful while trying to install Npcap. What can I do?

Votes:

I have the Npcap library installed and running on my system. When I want to update PRTG or install a remote probe, for example, the update or installation process works fine up to the point when PRTG tries to install Npcap. What can I do?

error npcap packet-sniffer prtg update windows-server-2008-r2

Created on Oct 22, 2019 5:00:36 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Mar 18, 2020 12:42:14 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 20

Updating or installing PRTG while Npcap is running

When you have Npcap 0.995 or later running at the time you want to update or install PRTG, there may be issues with the update or installation process.

Update or installation stops showing a Windows error message

The update or installation process may stop when trying to install Npcap. Windows stops and shows the error message

A LWF & WFP driver installation tool has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Closing the program does not solve the issue. PRTG does not start again and the update or installation process was not successful.

Troubleshooting solution

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Npcap. If you experience this issue, you need to manually stop npcapoem.exe via the Windows Task Manager, for example, to continue and finish the PRTG update or installation process.

Note: When you use the auto-update function of PRTG, you do not get an error message. PRTG just does not start again. In this case, you need to manually stop npcapoem.exe as well.

Windows Server 2008 R2: Auto-update is unsuccessful

On Windows Server 2008 R2, a Windows Security dialog appears when trying to install Npcap, asking you if you trust the software you want to install. The content is as follows:

Would you like to install this device software?
Name: Nmap Project Network Service
Publisher: Insecure.Com LLC

You need to manually click Install to continue the update or installation process.

If you use the auto-update function of PRTG, you do not see this dialog. You also do not get an error message. PRTG may just not start again and the update or installation process may not be successful.

Another issue may be that Packet Sniffer sensors and Packet Sniffer (Custom) sensors show a Down status or an Unknown status with the message that the file winpcap.dll is missing.

Troubleshooting solution

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Npcap. If you experience this issue, you need to manually update or install PRTG and confirm the Windows Security dialog by clicking Install.

More

Created on Oct 22, 2019 5:07:14 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on May 26, 2020 8:38:47 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Hello!

I just red the article "Release Notes for the "Stable" Release Channel" -> Packet Sniffer and Packet Sniffer (Custom), and want to ask - this adressed only for those users who use Packet Sniffer sensor or everyone? I can't found npcapoem.exe running on any of PRTG Core or Probes, and we don't use Packet Sniffer sensor.

Thank you!

Created on Nov 1, 2019 11:01:18 AM

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

if you don't use a packet sniffer, the NPCAP driver still gets updated. But you should not run into the installation issue mentioned.

Created on Nov 1, 2019 11:32:02 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

well here I am, on Win10 Pro- 5 install attempts have failed. the above task wasn't running explicitly in the Task Mgr, but I found something similar and killed it off once. Then deinstalled fully this package, reinstalled - it asked email address again, etc. so looked clean - and once again its hung 4ever (90 mins now) on finishing up NPCAP. Extra bonus this time - I can't seem to kill off the install from task manager, either - gonna need another reboot.

Ideas? Solutions? Incantations? all welcome ... thx

Created on Oct 13, 2020 11:37:12 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear that!

Here are some steps which already helped other customers:
- perform a restart of the machine before the installation
- check if WinPCAP is installed and uninstall it
- deactivate Anti Virus Solution
- manual installation with "Run as Administrator" (https://downloads.paessler.com/prtg/prtg.zip)
- check if NPCAP is installed and uninstall it before the installation

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Oct 14, 2020 2:51:17 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just had the issue with failing Npcap installing for version 20.4.64. Checked Npcap install log files and could see it recommended turning of LanSweeper Service who also used npcap driver.

keep this in mind when updating :)

Created on Jun 1, 2021 10:33:49 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.