What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor remote servers : Mini Probe depreciated ?

Votes:

Hello everyone,

I need to monitor 2 Linux servers based in our client's infrastructure. I would like to avoid having to create a VPN between our two networks. I've read about PRTG Mini Probes and they fully fullfill my needs. However, I've read this post about them being soon depreciated [Last answser by Luciano] :

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/61215-where-can-i-find-prtg-mini-probes-which-are-ready-to-use

Luciano mentioned HTTP sensors. However, I need to monitor basic systems values : %CPU, Mem, Disk usage... How does HTTP sensors can help me ? What's my best option to monitor those remote servers ? Does PRTG provide a similar solutions to mini probes ? Am I forced to setup a VPN ?

Thanks ! Regards,

http-sensor mini-probe remote-probe

Created on Oct 22, 2019 7:46:23 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you for your post.

As Luciano mentioned in the post, we are no longer developing the Mini Probes, so that we are not able guarantee that it still works (or that it will still work with future updates). As a alternative please see how to monitor Linux using SNMP. Once you have set up SNMP on the system you can use on of our native Linux sensors for monitoring values like CPU, Memory, Disk space...

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 22, 2019 10:19:51 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Thanks for your input, I can't implement SNMP sensor because I cant reach the servers. My question is to know if there is a PRTG client-like (other than a complete Remote Probe) that can reach my central server.

That way, I do not have to tell my client to set up a VPN with me or create a firewall rule to allow my SNMP requests.

Regards,

Created on Oct 22, 2019 1:11:03 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no other way to this.

Created on Oct 23, 2019 5:43:20 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Alright I'll figure this out. Anyway I hope that you guys reopen the developpement of mini probes because it was a very great idea !

Cheers.

Created on Oct 23, 2019 9:30:03 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.