What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

python sensors and accessing windows server

Votes:

Hi All,

I wonder if any of you can share from their experience with a situation similar to the following:

We have a windows server with PRTG network monitor, which monitors mostly windows servers. We are currently using "advanced exe" sensors to run windows .bat files that use PsExec64 to access the monitored servers. I am not very happy with this solution and would like to switch to python sensors.

The problem is that I tried using several methods for accessing the severs directly from python but each has its own problems. So again, I wonder if anyone has a similar setup and can share from their experience.

Many thanks,

Oren

prtg-network-monitor python-script-advanced-sensor windows-server

Created on Oct 24, 2019 8:47:21 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Would it be possible to have the target hosts run scripts periodically and instead push the data to PRTG?

Created on Oct 25, 2019 10:24:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan,

Thank you for pointing out this option, however, I rather not use it. I prefer monitor solutions to be "agent-less" as possible. In facet, this is one of the reason I don't like our current solution, as it requires installing and running batch files on the system components.

Created on Oct 27, 2019 5:53:43 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately, there's no proper way around this, as you need to work your way around the 32bit Probe service. It's either launching via a bat file or using scheduled tasks to execute them directly, either on the PRTG Core Server or the target host :(

Created on Oct 28, 2019 12:12:06 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan,

I ended up using the python subprocess class to execute PsExec64 from python. I know it's a bit dirty but since Microsoft official endorsed PsTools for remote-accessing Windows servers, I guess it is the safest method.

Thank you for your help,

Oren

Created on Oct 28, 2019 2:24:29 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.