What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Recommended Sensors Not Populating

Votes:

Hey Guys -

I'm currently testing PRTG in a lab which has a couple dozen devices of all sorts. When I initially installed it, I did so on my workstation; but soon afterwards built a 2019 Server VM which I installed it on. After setting up the new installation, I noticed something that didn't occur as it did on my workstation.

The networked devices have fully populated, I've gone back and configured Windows/Linux/SSH credentials as needed (systems are not on a domain so each has different credentials), then chosen to initiate Autodiscovery again followed by the option to scan for recommended sensors.

The issue is that once this scanning completes, no new sensors are recommended or added. When initially installed on my workstation, I believe it displayed many more including ones for HDD, paging file, NIC info, etc for Windows systems. With this new installation, I'm only getting about 2 sensors added per Windows device which are more general like Ping, RDP, & HTTP.

Below are a few things I tried to get them to scan in and automatically add - none of which worked: - Disabled inheritance for credentials and manually configured per device - Moved systems into corresponding groups (Example: Windows workstations into Windows\Clients) - Tried selecting different auto-discovery levels including ones with various templates + setting schedule from "Once" to Hourly (temporarily) - Verified that the manually configured hostname, username, & password are correct

Any suggestions? Thank You

recommended sensors windows

Created on Nov 5, 2019 7:26:33 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

What exact error message do you receive while trying one of your mentioned sensors to the devices manually? This is where we can start the troubleshooting to see what might be misconfigured here.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 6, 2019 10:28:35 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good Morning -

I figured it out. After looking further, I found your WMI tester where I determined that I needed to run "winrm quickconfig" to appropriately set the permissions per system.

Thank You

Created on Nov 6, 2019 2:50:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.