What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Sensor to return software version (ex. 3.4.5.12)

Votes:

I have a powershell sesnsor that compares the software version running on a server and compares it to the current production code version. If the server is at the correct code level, I return a value of 100 and the sensor is green! If it is not running the correct level of code I return an error code and the sensor enters an error state and goes red. I display these sensors on a status map of our prodcution servers. That works great.

I have been asked to show what code level the servers are running on the map. I have been able to put the code level in the message field of the sensor, but I can't seem to display that on the map. Is there a way to have a sensor return this non-integer value and display it on a map?

Thanks, Drew

custom-sensor maps powershell

Created on Sep 8, 2010 4:21:21 AM

Last change on Sep 17, 2010 12:10:02 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Drew,

it should be possible with editing the mapobjects html-file. These files are located in

\PRTG Network Monitor\website\mapobjects

Please locate the file corresponding the icon you are using on the map, and open it in notepad for example, then in the <span> ... </span> part please try adding the following line:

<span>
<#objectstatus name="message" id="<@objectid>"> 
</span>

save the file (it is best to save it under a new name, otherwise the change will be overwritten with the next update of PRTG).

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 8, 2010 3:51:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.