What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Show users on a server

Votes:

Hello there!

Can you guys help me?

I have around 325 licens shared over 5 servers, every time a user logs into the system we are using it covers up one licens, and he gets loged into a random one of the 5 servers.

So there will be around 60 users on eatch of the 5 servers. Sometimes it happens that when one user logs in he covers up 50 licens and that a problem.

That why i want to overview how many users there is on my servers, so we can see when this is happening.

- Is there a way i can see how mane users that have loged into every server? and then make it "RED" when there is above 70 users on one server?

counter information monitoring prtg server user users

Created on Nov 14, 2019 7:29:49 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for the reply. May I ask, what kind of target devices (OS?) and 'licenses' are we talking about here?

best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2019 9:36:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have a system called "Dynamics AX 2009" (Axapta 2009)... Running on Windows server 2008 2012 and 2019. The licens is so we can make unlimited users accounts for this AX system, but we can only sign in to AX with 325 users.

Created on Nov 15, 2019 7:32:47 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there are no native sensors for this in PRTG. Does the target offer this metric via XML/JSON? Then it should be possible to use the built-in Rest Custom-Sensor here, to request the metrics : https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/rest_custom_sensor

In case the Rest Sensor does not work, I have to be honest with you, this is the first request for such sensors. In such "exotic" cases, we simply have to recommend a self-written Custom Exe/Script-Sensors.

Please bear in mind, as with all things customising, which includes script sensors, customizing on pages in PRTG (reports, map objects, etc.), users are on their own. This has to be done by the user. While we do have a few explanations and rough guides in our KB for that, as well as the API-Documentation, be aware, that it's only supposed to work as a base, and using it is at your own risk. To help with custom scripts as sensors, I encourage you to use the API documentation in PRTG. The script should return the values to PRTG in the expected format (see your own PRTG under "Setup">"PRTG API">"Custom Sensors"). Also follow the manual (https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/exe_script_sensor.htm) and feel free to search the KB (https://kb.paessler.com), for a few examples on script sensors.

Created on Nov 15, 2019 9:06:09 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well im sad to here that you dont have a sensor for that, and making my own script sensor will be to hard for me i thing. - And funny that im the first person with that quistion, im sure there will be more that want to know how many active users they have on there Terminal Servers :)

Maybe in the future you can have such a sensore in your system, we are thinking about buying 5000 sensors or the unlimeted one. But our whole production are running with AX and if we cant get an overview of how many users we have on our terminals.. That not so good :(

Created on Nov 15, 2019 9:29:43 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.