What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Specific Port on Sophos XG

Votes:

Hello, I have Sophos XG Firewall and I need create custom sensor to monitor specific port when it ping specific IP.

ping snmp sophos-xg

Created on Nov 14, 2019 10:00:33 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do (running ping and checking a port at the same time?) Please find here more about creating custom sensors of your own.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 15, 2019 9:34:04 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard, Thanks for your reply. The Scenario is on the firewall there are tow Ethernet ports act as a WAN each one connected to the internet with a different ISP. I am able to monitor those Ethernet ports if they are up or down but I need to be able to monitor those ports if the internet connection up or down not just the port.

Thanks in advance

Created on Nov 19, 2019 11:52:27 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Hm, the issue with this is that there is no sensor that can be set to use one particular interface of your WAN ports for like checking if it reaches google.com for example. I'm not sure if this can be done at all by a script in some way that sort of "routes" a query so that it is using a particular WAN port, I'm afraid. If someone else has an idea, we would be glad to hear about it :)

Alternatively, maybe the device has something in its SNMP implementation that reports back if the outward connection is indeed up and running, but this would be something to ask Sophos.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 20, 2019 10:57:37 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 20, 2019 10:59:18 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, i have the same problem. I won´t to try the internet connetion for two diffrent WAN-Ports. The first WAN-Port is the main internet link and the second one is the backup soulution. Both of them needs a connection to the internet all the time!

Is there no way to monitor this? Thank you all!

Created on Oct 6, 2021 7:37:47 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.