What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Manually Delete/Purge Log Files

Votes:

I have reduced the log file retention via system settings, however I am very close to being out of disk space. How can I manually force the purging or deletion of log files?

log logs prtg

Created on Nov 18, 2019 5:15:09 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

You can adjust the settings for the historic data purging at:

"Setup > System Administration > Core & Probes > Historic Data Purging"

If you scroll down, you see the purging configuration. Any value is the number of days for which PRTG keeps the data before deleting it. Within the next 24 hours the historical data will get deleted.

Also see: How and Where does PRTG store its data

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Nov 19, 2019 6:37:06 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Timo,

PRTG is not purging the files.

"How can I manually force the purging or deletion of log files?"

Wolfgang

Created on Nov 19, 2019 3:35:12 PM

Votes:

Wolfgang,

It is not possible to manually force the purging or deletion of log files. You'll either need to delete them manually (You'll find the Log Database file here: "\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Log Database") or adjust the mentioned configuration and wait till PRTG deletes the files automatically. After changing the "Historic Data Purging" settings to you desires, the logs will get deleted within the next 24 hours automatically.

Created on Nov 20, 2019 11:45:14 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi at all

We have the problem, that on one of our Probes the ProbeWMI.log is over 350 GB big. It is located under C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\probe .

Which Value do i have to change / reduce for purging the ProbeWMI.log ? Historic Sensor Data?

Thanks in advance and kind regards Sebastian

Created on Jun 28, 2021 9:52:23 AM

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

The Data Purging feature deletes the data only on the PRTG Core server, it does not delete data on the Remote Probes.

The ProbeWMI.log file can be deleted manually, you will only need to stop the PRTG Probe service before doing this. After you start the probe service again, it will create a new ProbeWMI.log file.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2021 10:23:53 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sasa

Is there a disadvantage in deleting the log file? Are historical data missing or something like that?

Thanks and kind regards Sebastian

Created on Jun 28, 2021 4:34:59 PM

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

There is no disadvantage, the log file only records some errors or issues that occur on the WMI sensors, the sensor data and settings are stored on the PRTG core server.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 29, 2021 5:25:37 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sasa

Thanks for your help. kind regards Sebastian

Created on Jun 30, 2021 9:12:26 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.