What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe & Failover Cluster

Votes:

Would a Failover Cluster/Node also work as a new Remote Probe?

failover node prtg

Created on Nov 26, 2019 10:21:17 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you for the post.

Can you please describe your inquiry a bit more in detail? Do you want to replace your Failover with a Remote Probe, or do you want to keep the Failover but use it also as a Remote Probe?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 26, 2019 11:53:20 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yes use it as both, so would it be possible to use my second server as failover AND later install a remote probe on it?

Created on Nov 26, 2019 12:00:07 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Use it both, so when i use my second server as failover but my local probe gets heavy load, i still can use the failover as remote probe?

Created on Nov 26, 2019 12:02:50 PM

Votes:

Hello,

This will not work as the monitoring is being done from both cluster nodes, also the synchronization of the data goes always from the Maste to the Failover (please see the Performance Considerations for PRTG Cluster).

If you want to reduce the load on your core server you would need to install an additional remote probe on another server in the network of the Failover Node.

Created on Nov 27, 2019 8:48:15 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.