What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Alternatives to styles_custom_v2.css

Votes:

Hi PRTG team,

I reinstalled a PRTG server today and I didn't want to take over any old stuff and start fresh since a lot in the monitored environment had changed.

On thing I immediately noticed was the new GUI with loads of wasted white space everywhere and whein I noticed the PRTG version is exactly the same like the old server I remembered that I did some customization in CSS.

Now in styles_custom_v2.css there is a comment that "Your changes will be broken or removed with future PRTG updates". I wanted to adapt the CSS changes so they work properly again (there had been several updates since I created them) but I fear I will waste my time. What other otions do I have?

Mainly I'm interested in reducing wasted white space on the screen. The GUI looks nice but tt's a tool for admins so I don't care about nice. I want to see as much information as possible with a single look on the screen and without exessive scrolling. With the CSS changes that I have done I free up roughly one third of the screen from useless space and tables even get easier to read in my opinion. So I don't want to miss that and I really don't want to use the current "out of the box" GUI.

So whats the best way going forward to keep the information density high on the screen by removing empty space when modifying CSS is deprecated?

prtg web-gui web-interface

Created on Nov 29, 2019 5:26:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

You can still customize the PRTG web interface via the CSS and JavaScript files, but the feature is deprecated and might be removed completely in future PRTG versions. I'm very much afraid that we are no longer able to support you in implementing customization though.

Please find more information about our decision here:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/78334-what-is-your-position-towards-customizing-prtg

I kindly ask for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Dec 2, 2019 12:46:21 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 2:31:46 PM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.