What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I automatically backup PRTG to an offsite location?

Votes:

I googled how to backup PRTG and I found two relevant articles, the first referring to the second:

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/523-how-do-i-back-up-all-data-and-configuration-of-my-prtg-installation refers to file locations in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

To be totally honest backing up PRTG does not appear to be straightforward at all ! And so much reading. I guess I could just back up the configuration file, but what happens during critical failure? We're all paranoid of a hard drive crash.

My suggestion is that the software has a built-in facility where you can select backup, and a basic schedule. Something like backup daily to FTP location. Maybe a tick box or two to select what needs to be backed up.

For now, after quite a bit of reading and a struggle, I found "ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Configuration.dat". The struggle was because "ProgramData" did not even appear in the root of the C: drive. I've saved it to the desktop. Let's hope the C: drive doesn't crash.

backup feature-request ftp

Created on Nov 29, 2019 6:13:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your post.

All of PRTG's configuration is stored within the config file "PRTG Configuration.dat". For a quick backup you can only back up this file within your data folder.

PRTG also creates an automated backup of this file, you'll find these files within the folder "\Configuration Auto-Backups". These files are not accessed while PRTG is running and can be backed up at any time.

Besides the automatic configuration backups, there is no other automated way of backing up PRTG I'm afraid.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Dec 2, 2019 1:33:21 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know I am late, but sorry, the Tech Support answer is wrong! The configuration data file is important - no question - but custom sensors, maps, alarm templates et al. are distributed in the Program folder (... idea to put configuration data in the program folder). I configured owncloud on the core server and have added sync folders for each of our relevant configuration data directories. I had to give read/write permission for the folders to the owncloud user, but now I have all PRTG configuration on our configuration server.

Created on Jul 14, 2020 7:53:28 PM

Votes:

Hi Nikolaus,

Thank you for the addition. That's right - in case you have custom objects configured/created within PRTG like sensors, maps or Notifications, you would also need to back these up.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Jul 15, 2020 3:46:25 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.