What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Move Devices after Initial Discovery and get Hostnames

Votes:

The initial discovery starts with no interaction from the person installing the software. The initial scan looks through the subnet the server is on. After the scan there are a large number of items in the Unknown Devices group. These items have the IP address instead of the hostname.

I understand I'm supposed to create groups and setup credentials in the groups.

Am I supposed to be moving every object into the group manually? I understand I can go to the groups and select the items I want and move them. I'm just wondering if there is another option that I'm not understanding.

Is there something I could setup under the Unknown Devices to rediscover and move them to the correct group?

auto-discovery prtg setup

Created on Dec 10, 2019 3:45:56 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Initial auto-discovery runs certain checks against devices in order to determine which kind of device it possibly is and based on that sorts them into those subgroups. Of course feel free to move along devices in the tree where you want them to be.

When a device responds to nothing else than Ping, then PRTG cannot make much of that and will sort it into the "unknown devices" aka "Look, I have found it, but I don't know what it is". You can simply start another discovery on a device by right-clicking on the device and select there to run an auto-discovery, which will go over all default templates and see what can be applied.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 11, 2019 3:29:37 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.