What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

can not add Windows Print Queue Sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I want to add our first "Windows Print Queue Sensor". But it doesn't work. :-(

When trying to add it to the parent device, it always throws this error: " Cannot access printserver
SECRETSERVER.mysecretdomain.lan "

It's not possible to add this sensor to the device. :-( Other WMI sensors work fine.

I already checked it via the Paessler WMI Tester 2.3.3.8 with this Query:

SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_Spooler_PrintQueue

--> It worked successfully in the WMI tester, I got a list of all print queues with additional data.

I used the same domain credentials in WMI Tester as in the settings of the parent device. The WMI Tester was running on the PRTG-Server. As the used probe also is running.

We use PRTG version: 19.4.54.1506

Our PRTG-Server with probe runs unter Windows Server 2016 Standard. This machine is NOT in our domain. The target machine runs under Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. This machine is in our domain.

How can I get this sensor running?

print queue sensor windows wmi

Created on Dec 19, 2019 1:46:40 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Head to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System", there you find PrintQueue.exe, start it manually, it will show you then which parameters it requires to run. Run it with parameters then in command prompt, what do you get then?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 20, 2019 11:29:05 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

I get then: -------------------- 19.1.1.5 Contacting printserver Cannot access printserver
xxxxxxxserver3.xxxxxxx.xxx.lan

Press any key to continue ---------------------

Here ist the screenshot:

Screenshot 2019-12-20__13-38

Regards

Alphonse

Created on Dec 20, 2019 12:48:25 PM

Votes:

Since we need to take a closer look at this, we will continue in a support ticket.

Created on Dec 23, 2019 9:01:07 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.