What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification based on condition of multiple nodes

Votes:

Hi,

I’m completely new to PRTG and I’m trying to create the below without success. Could anyone offer some advise?

I have three separate groups (single server in 3 separate locations) containing multiple sensors.

The three nodes form part of a clustered system and I would like to use one sensor from each .i.e. collection of database stats to create a notification based on the following rules:

1 node failure – email 2 node failure – call engineer

I’ve been able to generate both the email and the call but have been unable to come up with the logic to add the 3 probes and create a rule based on a if & statement.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks

Matt

clustered mini-probe notifications

Created on Dec 24, 2019 12:29:47 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

You could accomplish this with the Business Process Sensor. This sensor will allow you to aggregate all three sensors into a single status. Then you can set thresholds on the status to mean different levels of status.

Example for your case.

You can set a Warning level at 33%, which would mean if any 1 out of the 3 sensors was down, the Business Process Sensor would go into a Warning State. You can then set your email trigger to execute on a Warning. You can set an Error level at 66%, which would mean if any 2 out of the 3 sensors was down, the Business Process Sensor would go into an Error State. You can set your call trigger to execute on an Error.

Does this all make sense? Check out our video on the Business Process Sensor.

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Dec 24, 2019 8:09:47 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks Benjamin, that's worked perfectly for me.

Created on Jan 2, 2020 11:35:03 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.