What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Waterfall Graphs

Votes:

I would like to make a waterfall graph on my maps if possible (not sure if that's the best name... it's what we called them in the Navy). Basically, I figured I would have to stack a couple of graphs together to get this to work, but the general idea would look like this....

The total graph would be cut up into segments. Each segment would contain a more lengthy but compressed version of the first segment... minus the previous segment's contents.

For example... The total graph is 12 inches long. We break it into 3 equal segments of 4 inches. The first segment has data from "Now" to 30 minute. The second segment has data from 30 minutes to 4 hours. The 3rd segment has data from 4 hours to 24 hours.

The idea is that data is essentially compressed as it stacks up further down the graph. But, making such a graph is proving to be difficult. First off... I don't see anywhere to be able to specify a custom start/stop time range on a graph. Second, while I know I've seen that the graphs are held in memory with specific settings for time slices... I would assume that one would have to specify which graph it was pulling data from to get the desired resolution... unless it would just grab the appropriate data set that meets the specified time window (which would be incredibly convenient and therefore not really a problem).

There are a few other things I would love to tweak like being able to show the x-axis but not the legend and things like that... but I think I can get around that with some creative extra map features. If anyone can help me with the custom time range though... that would be FANTASTIC! And, thank you very much in advance for any help.

graph-legends maps sensor-graphs

Created on Dec 26, 2019 6:31:17 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to modify the graphs in such time ranges. The graphs that are displayed in the maps are the ones used in the sensors (Live Data, 24 hour, 2 days...), these can be changed to some degree in the Graph Settings, however you could not have a graph with a 30 minute range.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 27, 2019 9:05:59 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So sad to hear that Sasa. Do you know if it is on a project road map to expand control of these features?. As I poke around more in the settings, the customization of the graphs (and maps in general) is incredibly limited. Controlling scale for instance would have also been required for the task I had in mind because they all need to be in sync with one another to be relevant to one another. But, I would love to be able to control scale on graphs in general as I care less about watching noisy spikes 2-5% on an idle circuit while the next graph is bouncing around at +80%... I want to have the scale set to draw my eye to what's important. And, the map designer... multiple selection would be SO HELPFUL. click 5 objects and set all of their left properties at the same time for instance. Or, even just nudge/drag them all at the same time. That would be an amazing time saver. For as old of a product as PRTG is... the editing tools seem very clunky and unpolished. Why is that???

Created on Dec 27, 2019 2:56:54 PM

Votes:

Hello Craig,

I understand that the Map Designer is rather old, and that he would benefit greatly from some additional options and features. That is why we decided to create a new map designer, that should provide more freedom in creating maps. However, since the new map designer is still in the planing phase, we do not yet have a release date for it.

For more information about what is planed for PRTG please see our Road Map.

Created on Dec 30, 2019 7:39:47 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.