What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I operate PRTG normally with standard user account?

Votes:

I installed PRTG with administrator privileges, and I checked that PRTG works normally. But now, I can not use the administrator account due to security issues. Therefore, only standard account can access the server where PRTG was installed.

The PRTG administration tool tool is also not run

My standard account have been assigned authority for PRTG services and got the permission to access the PRTG folder : 'C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PRTG Network Monitor'.

So I can only start / stop by running 'services.msc'.

However, I can't stopped PRTG services(Core & Probe) normally.

Is this service available only for the administrator account? Or need additional settings in my standard account?

administration server-administrator user-account windows-server

Created on Dec 31, 2019 12:59:57 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the post!

It's important that you have access to the PRTG Administration Tool as PRTG Administrator. Via this tool, you can also start/stop PRTG. If this is not possible, the Task Manager or Services.msc is the only option to start/stop the services.
In the PRTG Web Interface, you can only restart the Core and Probes (only as PRTG Administrator) via "Setup > Administrative Tools".

Regarding the file access, I strongly recommend to have access also to the PRTG Data Directory. In this location, PRTG stores important information (e.g. the log files).

Created on Jan 1, 2020 8:52:37 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for quick reply.

Do you mean that PRTG Administrator is the Administrator account in Windows OS ?

Are PRTG programs only allowed in the administrator account?

Logging in my standard account, attempts to run The PRTG administration tool is rejected. Is it impossible to execute the program even if I have all permission for the PRTG folder?

And I tried to stop the PRTG Core service several times, but the service hadn't stopped normally.

Do I have to install and run the PRTG program with an administrator account?

Created on Jan 1, 2020 2:08:41 PM

Votes:

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply.

Since the PRTG Administration Tool does administrative changes at the server, you need to be an administrator at the local server to execute the PRTG Administration Tool.
You mentioned that you cannot stop the PRTG Core Server. In which way you tried to stop the server?

Created on Jan 2, 2020 6:49:41 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.