What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

push data sensor - automated creation

Votes:

Hi

i have a bunch of cloud devices that i'd like to have monitored by PRTG. They will alert e.g. when CPU/Mem/Disk threshold is reached.

I've implemented the push data sensor before.. and in all cases you need to create the sensor first before you can send data to it using the webook.

Is it possible to create the sensor as part of the webhook?

The reason is that manually creating each sensor is very error-prone - it's very easy to miss that new service that you have configured etc etc.

It would be much easier if i just configure each new service to hit PRTG with the webhook, and the sensor is created if its not there already..

http http-push-data-advanced push

Created on Jan 8, 2020 1:06:43 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Unfortunately not, it's always create first. You could create a catalogue file containing the corresponding hosts and always check if a Sensor with that token/host already exists and create / push, depending on that. Would that be a feasible approach?

Created on Jan 9, 2020 3:00:07 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the suggestion! I've already implemented what you've suggested above with a windows scheduled task. it's a bit brittle and tends to fail a lot. so was hoping that i could get a webhook that would do create/update all at once

No worries i may go back to the solution above.

Created on Jan 9, 2020 3:22:15 PM

Votes:

In this case, you might want to force a scan at least once after creating it, as it may take some time for the corresponding listener socket to come up. Triggering a scan will likely bring it up quicker. Perhaps that helps :)

Created on Jan 10, 2020 11:09:15 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.