What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

templated addition of sensors - e.g ansible..?

Votes:

Hi

In an ideal world i'd like to not have to create sensors manually in PRTG as it is very error prone - it's easy to miss a new service...

Is it possible to configure PRTG through a templating tool, something like ansible? so that i could just define:

• sensor types
  • site
  • servers
  • site-specific details

and then for each new site i specify it simply auto-creates the new sensors for me at the push of the button.

I know the API exists, but that's not really templating..

ansible sensor templating

Created on Jan 8, 2020 1:09:23 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

It's possible to create custom device templates that can be used with the Auto-Discovery . This way you do not need to add sensors manually. You can run the Auto-Discovery by a push of a button and all preselected sensors will be created. Is this what you are looking for?

Created on Jan 9, 2020 9:15:42 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi this looks quite interesting. the main question with it is that we have servers with a variety of roles - with specific things that need to be monitored.

Hence specific "custom device templates" would need to be applied according to the role the server has.... is there any way of doing this with autodiscovery?

Created on Jan 9, 2020 11:08:20 AM

Votes:

After creating a device template from an existing device in your device tree, you can run the auto discovery using this template either manually for every device or you can create a Auto-Discovery group and group all servers with the same role. This video tutorial may be of interest for you here.

Created on Jan 10, 2020 7:42:13 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, I am using the templates to add new Sensores which workes just fine. But I’m wondering how I am able to delete one Sensor on multiple devices at once and also if it is possible to update the upper and/or lower threshold of one Sensorchannel for multiple devices. I’ve already tried to just create a new template and run auto-discovery again, but this only worked for devices that didn’t already had the sensor added.

Created on Aug 29, 2022 11:30:28 AM

Votes:

Besides deleting the already added sensor and re-creating it anew using the new template, you can also use the Multi-Edit to adjust settings of multiple sensors at once.

Created on Aug 30, 2022 7:19:59 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.