What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I install PRTG via a remote desktop connection?

Votes:

I want to establish a remote desktop connection to my server and execute the PRTG setup on the server. Is this procedure recommended?

installation planning prtg rdp remote

Created on Feb 11, 2010 2:48:50 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 11, 2010 3:56:31 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please execute the setup directly on the server and do not use a remote desktop connection for this!

Why we do not recommend installing software via Remote Desktop

In order to avoid installation and configuration issues, it is generally better to install PRTG Network Monitor directly on the host server, seeing as certain system pop-ups are not properly carried forward when connecting to the server via a RDP session.

The Microsoft article linked below provides the following snippet illustrating the situation:

For some third-party applications, pop-up messages cannot be seen from a Terminal Services session. This is because there is a different security context or desktop for the connected session that does not display the application's pop-up messages. The pop-up messages in these instances will go directly to the console. If you need to see these messages, connect to the console session using Remote Desktop Connection from the command line or the Remote Desktops MMC snap-in.

For detailed information, please see the Microsoft article Using Remote Desktop for Administration for remote server administration

Created on Feb 11, 2010 2:53:17 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 12, 2010 9:39:19 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.