What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe on Single Board Computer

Votes:

Good Day PRTG-Afficionados,

For monitoring a remote Linux device I would need to use a remote probe (not mini probe) so that even when communication goes down the data keeps being collected. Installing a WIN10 PC is unfortunately impossible due to the lack of space and I was wondering if anyone has already used a single board PC for the sole purpose of running a PRTG probe and what would be the requirements / recommendations.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Michaël

linux remote-probe single-board

Created on Jan 15, 2020 12:06:59 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The only solution we have here is our mini-probe solution that runs on Python. The project is deprecated, and limited in functionality to just a handful of SNMP sensors. What exactly are you looking to accomplish with this probe?

Linux Mini Probe

Are you trying to get any metrics from the Linux host?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 16, 2020 6:01:22 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin, We would need to probe network equipment and as mentioned the data needs to be retained in case of comms outage. While I understand the limitations of the mini probe the question is whether anyone has used a single board computer running windows as a remote probe only and what would be the recommendations/requirements. Best regards Michaël

Created on Jan 16, 2020 9:14:27 AM

Votes:

Michael,

What kind of resources does the single board computer have?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 17, 2020 2:40:56 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, that is my question. What would the requirements be so I can search for a device that will work?

Best regards Michaël

Created on Jan 17, 2020 8:55:09 AM

Votes:

Michael,

Please refer to the following link.

PRTG System Requirements for Remote Probes

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 18, 2020 3:35:27 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.