What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG 20.1.55 and the update for Universal C Runtime in Windows

Votes:

When I try to update to or install PRTG 20.1.55 on my Windows system, the installation stops with the following error message:

python.exe – System Error
The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

What can I do?

installation prtg python runtime update windows windows-server

Created on Jan 17, 2020 7:50:50 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 20, 2020 7:06:04 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important Information: This article is deprecated and is no longer updated. As of October 2023, PRTG no longer supports Windows Server 2012 R2. We recommend you use the most recent version of Windows Server.

This article applies as of PRTG 20.1.55

Reason why the installation of PRTG 20.1.55 does not work without the Universal C Runtime update

With PRTG 20.1.55, we included a Python upgrade for PRTG. This Python runtime depends on the Universal C Runtime in Windows for which Microsoft recently released an update.

The update applies to the following operating systems:

• Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows Server 2012
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7 SP1
  • Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Update your Windows system accordingly to successfully update to or install PRTG 20.1.55.

For more information, see the Microsoft article Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows.

Created on Jan 17, 2020 7:58:02 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Nov 24, 2023 10:46:11 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.