What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What settings do I have to define in my AWS account to set up the AWS Cost sensor?

Votes:

I want to set up the AWS Cost sensor to monitor the costs of my Amazon Web Services (AWS) account. What settings do I have to define in my AWS account?

amazon aws aws-cost-sensor prtg

Created on Feb 3, 2020 8:25:37 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Dec 29, 2022 1:56:07 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Settings in the AWS account related to the AWS Cost sensor

Define the following settings in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) account before setting up the AWS Cost sensor.

Step 1: Enable the AWS Cost Explorer API

The sensor requires the AWS Cost Explorer to be enabled in the AWS account. For more information, see the AWS Cost Management User Guide.

Note: After sensor setup, the first data is available after 24 hours. Forecast data is available after a few days.

Step 2: Set permissions for the AWS API key

The AWS Cost sensor queries data from the AWS Cost Explorer API. Therefore, it needs sufficient permissions for the API key. For more information on how to set the required permissions, see How do I set permissions for the Amazon Web Services (AWS) API key to use certain sensors in PRTG?

Further information

• Amazon charges you for each AWS Cost Explorer API call that the sensor sends to the Amazon servers. For current pricing information, see Cloud Financial Management: Pricing, section AWS Cost Explorer API.
  • For an explanation of blended, unblended, and amortized costs, see the AWS Billing User Guide.

Created on Feb 3, 2020 8:27:42 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Dec 29, 2022 1:57:57 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.