What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to remove text and symbols from status-related background

Votes:

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the text and symbols from the 'Name and Status (sizeable, status-related background)'.

For context, this is my map - https://ibb.co/ZcMNs9v I'm trying to add a dynamic box which highlights itself in green (good), amber (warning) and red (bad) based on the sensors on that specific device. E.g When the sensors looking at my SQL servers bump into a problem the square box will be it's appropriate colour (red).

The name and status mapobject already does the dynamic colouring, however it has the warning and alert icons along with the name of the device the sensor is pointing to. But I don't want these showing.

Firstly, I can't find the related mapobject within my webroot folder. I have found the 'messageonly_related_background' but that is not the correct one. So my question is where is the correct mapobject for this?

Secondly, when I do find the mapobject, what do I edit the HTML as to remove the text and symbols?

Thanks,

map-objects maps sensors

Created on Feb 3, 2020 11:37:02 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear ericf,

the map object can be found with searching within files, the English name corresponds to the description in the first line of each map object htm file.

Regarding editing these objects, this is not covered by technical support. Please don't edit the original files as they are overwritten with each software update, instead save it unter new name and also change the name in the first line of the file so you can discern it in the map editor.

You can experiment with removing placeholders from the htm file in order to remove elements.

Created on Feb 3, 2020 2:46:05 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the reply.

I did try searching within the folder. Nothing along the lines of Name and Status or status-related background came up other than the 'messageonly_related_background' which as mentioned is not the correct one.

I made a copy anyways of messageonly_related_background and changed the first line to a title of my own, yet it didn't appear in the properties panel for the mapobjects even after several restarts of the core server.

Any ideas?

Created on Feb 3, 2020 2:56:03 PM

Votes:

Dear ericf,

after refreshing the browser window, the element should become visible. The general approach to edit map objects is outlined here.

If you search file content in the mapobjects folder for Name and Status (sizeable, status-related background), you should get a match, even if the corresponding file name seems to be rather generic.

Created on Feb 4, 2020 1:26:18 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.