What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

syslog receiver/snmp trap sensors not available

Votes:

I'm trying to configure PRTG's built-in syslog receiver. When I search for this sensor to add to the local probe device, it doesn't return a search result - it appears that this sensor isn't available. My understanding is that this is a feature included in all PRTG installations.

Likewise, SNMP Traps sensor doesn't come up as an available option.

Looking for some assistance, please.

syslog traps

Created on Feb 3, 2020 1:32:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear jkoelker,

in order to use these sensors, please make sure to configure the SNMP credentials on the device's "Settings" tab. The sensors should then be available.

Created on Feb 3, 2020 2:48:06 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 3, 2020 2:48:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the info - however, it appears to me that SNMP credentials are already set for the probe device, as follows:

SNMP version: v2c Community string: public SNMP port: 161 SNMP timeout (secs): 5

It does not appear that our PRTG server is listed as a host in the switch's SNMP configuration, though, so I will do that and see if it makes a difference.

Created on Feb 3, 2020 3:14:38 PM

Votes:

Dear jkoelker,

please clarify if you cannot create the SNMP sensors in the first place because they are marked unavailable in PRTG, or if you can create them but they don't get any data, meaning no syslogs or traps respectively.

Created on Feb 4, 2020 1:29:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.