What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[IMPLEMENTED] SQL 2019

Votes:

Hi, when will there be a Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Sensor?

sql sql-2019 sql-server-2019

Created on Feb 6, 2020 11:37:22 AM

Last change on Feb 3, 2021 3:01:00 PM by  Jörg Hollerith [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

WMI Microsoft SQL 2019 Sensor introduced with PRTG 20.3.62.1397

You can now monitor your Microsoft SQL Server 2019 with PRTG! The new WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2019 BETA sensor monitors your database performance and shows values from SQL General Statistics, Access Methods, the Buffer Manager, the Memory Manager, the Locks Manager, and SQL Statistics.

Further details about the Sensor can be found within the manual pages

With kind regards,

Stephan Linke
Technical Support Team

Created on Oct 5, 2020 6:57:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

14 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

We have already issued a creation of a native WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2019, but it is still on our to do so far.
I also don't expect it to be part of PRTG real soon as there are only just a few requests as of yet. I see it coming though, but not with high priority.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 7, 2020 8:02:32 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Shame it will take a while, the sensors are really good! I assume if I want to monitor it I'll have to use some script sensors?

Thanks

Created on Feb 7, 2020 8:45:45 AM

Votes:

For the time being this would be the way to go, yes.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, that we see the corresponding sensor soon.

Created on Feb 7, 2020 2:07:21 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this? We just started using mssql 2019 and cannot monitor.

Created on Feb 24, 2020 2:40:57 PM

Votes:

Not yet, sorry. There are still not many requests so other implementations have a bigger priority at present.

Created on Feb 25, 2020 6:18:14 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How do you calculate the "number of requests"? Should each customer create a new topic on this board? Or should they make a "me to!" comment? Or should they "up-votes? a post

Created on Feb 27, 2020 4:12:45 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for your valid questions. It's a mix of pretty much everything and it is not as strict as with other feature requests because we already have an internal developer task for that sensor. We basically quantify the requests on all different channels (KB, upvotes, support tickets, etc.)

The numbers increase to be honest, so I try to make you guys better heard now and push the internal task. However please note that even with an immediate start for planning, implementation and testing phase it will take weeks from now on. Anyhow, be assured that I will reach out to dev again.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 28, 2020 1:09:26 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just counted all requests that we have at present and it's still pretty overseeable to be honest. If you check our roadmap you will see that we are currently working on a lot of different things. Many of the issues listed here many PRTG users will benefit from. Please understand that we have to prioritize somewhere, but I pushed the task as promised so we'll see.

Created on Feb 28, 2020 1:20:07 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Did anyone manage to create any custom sensors for monitoring SQL 2019? Presumably you can achieve this around some Perfmon counters?

I must say with SQL server being such a huge part of any organisations i'm surprised at the lack of emphasis from Paessler to get this sensor to market.

Thanks

Created on May 11, 2020 3:12:19 PM

Votes:

I urgently need a sensor to monitor datafile usage for sql2019 instance. Please could you inform when this sensor will be available ? Rgds

Created on May 20, 2020 6:49:38 AM

Votes:

Any news on this? SQL 2019 has been out for some time now, and we are receiving more and more requests from our customers who want to monitor their SQL environments.

Created on Jun 24, 2020 8:24:33 AM

Votes:

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm afraid there is no update on this case. Your feedback will help us to understand the importance of this sensor.

​Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Jun 24, 2020 8:38:48 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like to request the SQL 2019 sensor as well - Our organization is migrating and I really need to continue with the reports I can generate from the data, not to mention the alerting.

Created on Jul 16, 2020 11:17:25 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

WMI Microsoft SQL 2019 Sensor introduced with PRTG 20.3.62.1397

You can now monitor your Microsoft SQL Server 2019 with PRTG! The new WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2019 BETA sensor monitors your database performance and shows values from SQL General Statistics, Access Methods, the Buffer Manager, the Memory Manager, the Locks Manager, and SQL Statistics.

Further details about the Sensor can be found within the manual pages

With kind regards,

Stephan Linke
Technical Support Team

Created on Oct 5, 2020 6:57:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.