What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Network Uptime Report

Votes:

On my old monitoring software, I had a network uptime report ("uptime" being based on ping return % over the past month). This would take the uptime of all my switches into an aggregate % and tell me that I had a network uptime of 99.98% (or whatever my % was) for last month. I am trying to recreate this report in PRTG but I can't quite figure out how to aggregate the individual switch uptime into 1 number. The only way I've found so far is to have all the switches that I want in 1 report, manually add the uptime together, then divide by the number of switches. Obviously this isn't a very eloquent solution. Is there some way to aggregate these in a report... or perhaps it's already done in the report and I'm not reading the report correctly?

report reporting reports

Created on Feb 11, 2020 1:19:02 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us,

In Reports > Select Report There is a template in the reports called Top 100 Uptime/Downtime. The you can go to the tab to select the sensors manually or add the sensors by tag in the Report settings.

Reports show statistics for uptime (Up and Down in percent) and requests (Good and Failed in percent). Values between 5% and 95%, as well as 100% and 0%, are rounded to whole numbers without decimal places. Other values are shown with 3 decimal places. Because of rounding, the statistics in section Sensor Status History of the report might differ from the values in section Uptime Stats by few seconds. For more information please refer to this report manual

Created on Feb 12, 2020 4:17:27 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Is there a way to save this as a custom report? We have like 20 sites and I am only looking for information on 3 of them (that's what I'm responsible for) and the report may want to be used by others. My initial reaction to just looking at the top 100 doesn't feel super useful to me but I'll play with it and see if I can get it to generate some data that feels more useful.

Created on Feb 14, 2020 12:42:09 PM

Votes:

Ok, using the "Top 10 uptime/downtime" template and including the Percentile, I seem to be getting some information (from the Percentile field) that could be useful for trend information and general network health status. Right now when I run the report it groups by sensor. Is there a way to group it by Probe Group Device instead of sensor? IE I want all 1 location stuff in it's own group where right now all the pings are together.

Created on Feb 14, 2020 2:16:44 PM

Votes:

Reports always go to the lowest level. So it will always group by sensors. It cannot be set to group by probe. Perhaps running separate reports with the devices on each probe.

Created on Feb 14, 2020 11:05:10 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere and then I end up 1 step behind. I've decided that what I want to track is the average ping (in ms), the total CPU usage %, and the available free memory. When set my report to get just the "Total CPU" with "calculate percentage" on and at 99, I get back a 14% return for last month. Ok, fine. However, when I go into the CPU and look at the same time period I'm actually seeing only about a 7% CPU usage. So where is this 14% calculation coming from?

Created on Feb 17, 2020 8:20:39 PM

Votes:

We will reply to you via email, as we need to take a look at your config. Expect an email from [email protected]

Created on Feb 18, 2020 11:07:23 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

It is now possible to get an aggregate % from multiple devices with some of the SLA plugins that exist from Paessler Alliance Partners. The page with our partners can be found here and if you have any specific questions on which plugins to use or how to get an overall uptime / downtime percentage in a report or on a dashboard, feel free to contact presales or support

Created on Nov 4, 2022 3:03:36 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 4, 2022 5:37:12 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.