What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Apply notification template to single sensor across all devices

Votes:

Hi,

We manage 100s of devices that have been grouped (and sub-grouped) depending on location.

I would like to trigger an e-mail when one of the devices' uptime drops below the threshold (24hr).

This will then raise a ticket, for now we are only interested in device uptime.

Configured a notification template and added the 'snmpuptimesensor' tag, then applied it to the root.

What i wanted to achieve was enabling the uptime trigger for all devices without having to go into each device's uptime sensor and link it there.

However it looks like these tags do not filter for notifications, i came back this morning to 105 e-mails (and 105 tickets...) that are bandwidth usage related.

Is there any other way i can turn the uptime trigger on (or any other trigger) and apply it to a single sensor (or filter out for that sensor) for all devices running that sensor without having to do it on each individual sensor?

notification notification-template snmpuptimesensor tag

Created on Feb 12, 2020 8:45:16 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Support helped me find the solution.

I had to create a Library, then a node and filter out by 'snmpuptimesensor' under 'Filter By Tags'. Link the node to Root.

That loaded the uptime sensor for all our devices, which is were i linked the notification template via the local trigger.

Created on Feb 12, 2020 1:24:26 PM

Votes:

Hello there,

It is possible to notify you dependent on a custom tag. Therefore, create a library where you only include the sensors with your tag and create a notification trigger for all object included to the library.

Please follow these steps to create it:

1. Create a new library
  2. Add your objects (e.g Root)
  3. Right click and select "Edit" > "Settings"
  4. Enable "Show a collection of filtered sensors"
  5. Select "Filter by Tags" and add your tag
  6. When your library is filtered select in your library the tab "Notification Triggers"
  7. Add a new trigger, in your example "Threshold Trigger" and configure your notifications

Created on Feb 12, 2020 3:14:33 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.