What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

EXE/Script Sensor: Error 0x522

Votes:

Hello,
I want to use the EXE/Script Sensor in the security context of the parent device for a Powershell Script, but keep receiving the error 0x522 "A required privilege is not held by client".

The way PRTG is set up within our environment is that the probe service runs as a local user PROBESERVER\serviceaccount that is member of the local Administrators group on the probe device. For special purposes (WMI filter) we specify different credentials on specific devices / device groups as needed.

I've created a device (with IP 127.0.0.1, so the probe device), and entered the credentials of a domain admin in its "Credentials for Windows Systems". I've then created a EXE/Script sensor using the script "Demo VBScript - Returns user of process.vbs".

When setting the security context to probe device, the Sensor will be in the OK state and show the correct user "PROBESERVER\serviceaccount". When setting the security context to the parent device, the Sensor will be in Error state and it will show "A required privilege is not held by client (0x522)"

0x522 exe script security-context

Created on Feb 14, 2020 9:54:54 AM

Last change on Feb 17, 2020 10:23:35 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Usually, I would recommend to run the Probe Service the the Local System user (default) and configure the sensor to use the security context of the parent device.

If there are still issues, please feel free to open a support ticket ([email protected]).

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 17, 2020 4:55:24 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.