What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring SIP Traffic

Votes:

This requires a bit of a history lesson:

My network has 2 Cisco routers (one is a 4331, the other is a 2921) that forwards SIP traffic to our service provider. One handles inbound SIP; the other outbound SIP. We control the internal routers, but the destination router is a service provider router. A few months ago, due to a bad IP address in their config, we lost all outbound calling when we took down the outbound router for maintenance.

My boss wants me to come up with some way to monitor SIP traffic in PRTG. The problem is that the SIP sensor in PRTG requires the credentials for the SIP server. This is something that our service provider immediately shot down. Is there any other way to monitor SIP traffic without knowing the SIP server credentials? We currently measure throughput on those links, but it did not show as down when the failure occurred. The traffic was going out just fine, it just got dropped on the other side.

Any thoughts?

cisco prtg sip

Created on Feb 17, 2020 7:57:26 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

The "SIP Options Ping"-Sensor requires valid user credentials to log on to the target SIP server. The credentials are entered in the Sensor settings below the "SIP Specific".

I'm afraid it's not possible to use this sensor without credentials. Also I'm afraid there's no possible workaround to monitor the SIP traffic without credentials.

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Feb 18, 2020 12:19:06 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.