What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Editing Map Icons to show only Traffic In/Out

Votes:

I am used to monitoring my network with the dude. One thing I really like about it is the ability to see live traffic displayed on links between devices. In PRTG, is there an element that can me modified to show something similar? So far I can only find premade ones that also show a graph or are too large with a bunch of extra info. I am only interested in seeing Tx/Rx in bps that be sat right on the link in my maps.

interface-traffic map-objects snmptrafficsensor

Created on Feb 19, 2020 1:51:12 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

You can monitor the traffic incoming and receiving with the SNMP Traffic Sensor. For this sensor you can choose individual ports on your device which should be monitored. On your map you can choose which channels of the sensor you want to see. The sensor shows a channel for "Traffic In", Traffic Out" and "Traffic Total".

Kind regards
Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 20, 2020 8:34:52 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So on my map I have selected the Status Icon named "Status and last value" and was able to modify it to not show the name. The problem is it seems to only show the primary channel. Is there a way to only show the "Traffic In", Traffic Out" at the same time but not the "Traffic Total"?

I see there are Data Tables that do this but they have much more text and info than I need for this purpose.

Created on Feb 20, 2020 3:49:26 PM

Votes:

Hello,

You can't hide one channel from a sensor when you are creating a map. In addition you can't delete channels from a sensor. A workaround would be to create two sensor of the same kind. Therefore the primary channel can be defined in the sensor, it's possible to show only the primary channel on the map.

As an alternative you can add a Factory Sensor (tutorial video). With this you can create your own channels. You can define one or more channels that combine monitoring results from other sensors or devices.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 21, 2020 9:11:51 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.