What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Status Unknown

Votes:

Hi Support,

I'm looking to purchase the PRTG Network Monitor, but I have a question. I stumbled upon a question from 3 years ago, where one of your customers was asking about reports generated from PRTG. In particular I'm talking about the "unknown" status that shows up when one generates a report.

I just wanted to ask, if this has been changed or is due to change anytime soon?

Here is the link to the question that has been addressed by your support: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/71173-sensor-status-history-starts-with-unknown-state

Anyways, I want to say that I'm really impressed with the way PRTG has been designed, its ecosystem is very intuitive and user friendly.

Best, Atdhe

prtg reports status-unknown

Created on Feb 21, 2020 12:47:50 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Atdhe,

Thank you for your post.

This behavior is still the same, and there are no plans on changing this at the moment.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 24, 2020 10:23:18 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Mr. Ignjatovic,

thank you for your reply. I have another question, if I may :). When exactly does this behavior occur? I know it is explained somehow in the other topic that I linked, but it just doesn't click on how PRTG could lose connection or communication to the sensor that is being monitored, while it is properly working.

Or does it occur only when you add a new sensor and it doesn't fetch the data immediately?

Best, Atdhe

Created on Feb 24, 2020 11:15:20 AM

Votes:

Hello Atdhe,

In the KB article that you have shared, the problem is that when a report is created there "Sensor History" shows "Unknown" status first, and then "Up" status. This is because, before the first scan is made there is no data to be displayed, so the first status in the report is "Unknown".

Created on Feb 24, 2020 11:56:22 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.