What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Folder sensor - Oldest file question

Votes:

Hi,

We have a workflow where users are copying files to a shared folder on Server A and these files are automatically copied to Server B using a service/process on Server A. So the users drop the files on Server A and eventually they will get copied from Server A to Server B.

Unfortunately, the service which copies the files from Server A to Server B isn't very reliable and sometimes crashes. Therefore I have setup a Folder sensor in PRTG which monitor the oldest files in the shared folder. If a file in the shared folder is older than 6 hours, then PRTG throws an alert. This tells use that the copy service has crashed and we need to restart it.

The problem I am facing in my specific scenario is that PRTG seems to monitor the "Date modified" field of a file and not the "Date created". When the files are copied to Server A from the users, the "Date created" is modified to reflect the time and date at which the copy was done. "Date modified" is unchanged as the file was not modified; it was only created on Server A during the copy. So sometimes, PRTG will throw an alert because a file just got copied from a user to Server A. The "Date created" field for that file is less than a few minutes, but the "Date modified" is more than 6 hours old because it hasn't been modified since.

Is it possible to configure PRTG to look at the "Date created" field instead of "Date modified" for that specific sensor/channel ?

We are running PRTG 19.4.54.1506 under Windows if this is relevant.

Thank you,

Guillaume.

folder-sensor foldersensor prtg19 sensor

Created on Feb 21, 2020 8:38:04 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid, this option is not available and also not planned for the near future, since there are only few requests about this yet.

As workaround you can create a script or maybe apply a small change to the file while copying.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 24, 2020 11:49:34 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Birk. I understand that the needs for this feature aren't high enough to justify the development of this in PRTG. I'll work on a script to fix this.

Thanks !

Created on Feb 24, 2020 4:52:33 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for your understanding. If you want to, you can also share your script here for other customers.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 25, 2020 12:57:40 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.