What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Update to newest PRTG version fails

Votes:

Hey guys,

I got a strange problem with our PRTG installation.

When I start the update, PRTG shutdown and then tries to restart. But the startup fails and never comes to an end. To end the the failed update I have to manually restart the PRTG services which results in a failed update of PRTG.

The end of the Update.log got the following info: 24.02.2020 13:12:41 CheckFiles failed to 1) kill processes holding references to files to be renamed, or 2) rename files. See previous log lines for more info. 24.02.2020 13:12:41 End

I don't really understand that to be honest. What do I have to do, to fix the issue?

prtg update windows

Created on Feb 24, 2020 12:32:22 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

As we had several issues with the Auto-Update as it stuck in one point, we recommend to manually update your instance. You can download the newest version here.

Simply install it over your existing installation, monitoring data and configuration will be preserved. Your Remote Probes will get updated automatically. 

Note that PRTG Core Server might reboot without further notice. Please also have a look at the various change logs - it contains valuable information on how the update might have influence on your monitoring (updated sensors, different monitoring behavior, improved security, etc.).

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 24, 2020 12:42:16 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, I'm gonna try that and report back if it worked or not.

Created on Feb 26, 2020 8:13:55 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.