What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware / vCenter monitoring: auto discovery

Votes:

Hello. I use PRTG to monitor my vmware cluster.

Every day the auto discovery feature (using the vmware esxi / vcenter template) runs against the cluster searching for new VMs and so on -> everything works fine.

Every time the discovery feature runs it finds not only new VMs but also things I don't want to monitor with prtg.

For example, I don't want to monitor the physical host performances: I remove the probes for the host but they are added back again the day after! (because of the auto discovery).

I'd like auto-discovery to just add new VMs to PRTG, anything else. Is it possibile? How can I modify the default scanninf template?

Thanks, Mattia

vmware vmware-monitoring vmwaresensor

Created on Feb 26, 2020 2:22:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Mattia,

Thank you for your post.

I assume that you are using our pre-made device template for the Auto Discovery. If that is the case, then the best solution would be that you create your own custom template that will contain only sensors that you need. You can create the device template by going right click on a device that has all the sensors that you want, and choose the option "Create Device Template".

I would however, suggest that you create a new "Test" device with all the needed credentials, and add the sensors manually to the device that you want to have in the template. After you made sure that all the sensors work, create the device template. Lastly, test your device template, for this first delete the sensors that you have manually created, and afterwards run a Auto Discovery using your Template to make sure that all the sensors are being added properly.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 27, 2020 9:46:14 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello. I already tried you suggestion... If I make a template from my actual vcenter configuration and auto-scan with that template it simply does nothing! If I scan with the template, PRTG won't found new VMs! It simply continue to scan the VMs that where already there when the template was created! As you suggested, if I delete the vcenter device and re-create it using the template I made, everything returns there, correctly, but no new VMs! Just the one that were already there.

I need someting that, on a daily basis, adds new VMs deployed into vmware back to PRTG (under the vcenter device). Right now the only thing I can do is run "autodiscover detailed" again against the vcenter device (but it also adds a lot of rubbish!) or add vmware vm soap sensor manually everytime a new VM is created.

Thanks, Mattia

Created on Feb 27, 2020 10:20:24 AM

Votes:

Since we will need some files from your PRTG Core Server, we will continue the instigation in a support ticket.

Created on Feb 28, 2020 6:37:18 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.