What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using built-in Mailservice with a domain e-mail-address

Votes:

Hello,

first I'll describe my setup: In my company we have several virtual Machines, for example one only for DNS, another one as Exchange-Server,.. I have PRTG installed on another VM that has nothing to do with the DNS or Mail-Service. For Redundance I want to configure the E-Mail-Notification so that it sends via an E-Mail-Address which is also configured on our Exchange-Server, so in case the Exchange goes down we still can see the error-Email.

Coming to my Question, is it possible to connect the sender address and the domain mailbox in the described way?

Thanks in Advance!

dns domain exchange mx mx-records prtg smtp

Created on Mar 2, 2020 9:26:39 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Schokodil,

If I understand you correctly, then you want to use the build-in PRTG Mail Server and your exchange server to send emails?

Created on Mar 2, 2020 12:01:34 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, exactly. At this moment, sending E-mails with our Exchange-Server as Relay-Server works, yet the integrated mail-server doesn't work. When I use the it, I get the error-message that the mx-server for the given mail-address (which is registered in our domain) couldn't be reached.

Created on Mar 9, 2020 8:12:56 AM

Votes:

Hi Schokodil,

Please note that the built-in mail server uses MX record to send mails. Please check if it exists and is connected to the configured mail relay server. Please also check the DNS settings to make sure that those are properly defined.

Created on Mar 9, 2020 9:11:01 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.