What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

The PRTG app for desktop on macOS 10.15 Catalina cannot be opened. What can I do?

Votes:

I want to open the PRTG app for desktop, but a dialog appears and tells me that “PRTG can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store”. What can I do?

macos prtg prtg-app-for-desktop prtg-desktop

Created on Mar 4, 2020 12:28:57 PM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

Last change on Aug 30, 2023 8:37:44 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG app for desktop and macOS notorization

macOS comes with a security feature called Gatekeeper. It enforces code signing and verifies downloaded applications before allowing to run them. With macOS 10.15 Catalina, the notarization process was changed. Because of this change, the PRTG app for desktop for macOS is currently not notarized. As a result, Gatekeeper displays a warning when you try to open the PRTG app for desktop.

To install and run the latest version of the PRTG app for desktop on macOS 10.15 Catalina, take the following steps:

1. Download the PRTG app for desktop directly from the Paessler website.
  2. Open the Downloads folder and double-click the PRTG file you just downloaded.
  3. Drag the application into the Applications folder and wait for the copy process to finish.
  4. Open PRTG from the Applications folder or the macOS Launchpad.
  5. The following dialog appears:
    macOS Warning Software not Signed
    Click to enlarge.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click the System Preferences icon in the Dock or select Apple menu | System Preferences.
  8. Navigate to Security & Privacy.
  9. On the General tab, click Open Anyway.
    macOS System Preferences Open Anyway
    Click to enlarge.
  10. The following dialog appears:
    macOS dialog open unsigned app
    Click to enlarge.
  11. Click Open to launch the PRTG app for desktop on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Created on Mar 4, 2020 12:59:47 PM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

Last change on Aug 30, 2023 8:38:37 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.