What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Which channel represents 'average response time' on the disk I/O sensor?

Votes:

Hi,

I have a question about WINDOWS PHYSICAL DISK I/O SENSOR.

When I look into the disk performance tab in Windows Task Manager, there is an value called Average Response Time.

I want to check the value on a Disk I/O sensor. A Disk I/O sensor have channels related response time(like Avg Read Time, Avg Transfer Time, Avg Write Time).

Which one represents 'average response time' on the disk I/O sensor?

disk disk-health disk-io physical-disk

Created on Mar 5, 2020 6:30:57 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your post.

The "Average Response Time" is calculated by adding the "Average Read" and "Average Write" time, and dividing it by two. The "Windows Physical Disk I/O Sensor", does not calculate this the "Average Response Time", but rather displays the "Average Read" and "Average Write" time separately.

You could get this value by using a Sensor Factory sensor, in which you can calculate the "Average Response Time" by using the values from the Read and Write channels.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 5, 2020 1:12:00 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for reply.

I have one more question about Disk I/O Sensor.

What does 'Avg Transfer Time' mean? How is the value calculated?

Created on Mar 6, 2020 12:27:23 AM

Votes:

The "Avg Transfer Time" should be the average number of bytes transferred to or from the disk during write or read operations. This value is not calculated by the sensor, but is taken directly from Windows.

Created on Mar 9, 2020 7:59:55 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.