What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with disk sensor discovery on Dell iDRAC 7

Votes:

Hello,

I'm trying out PRTG, I have a power edge R620 in the lab with an iDRAC 7, snmp v3 is enabled and working.

The "SNMP Dell PowerEdge System Health" sensor is returning the gauges correctly, there are no gauges for storage controller status however.

Additionally, the "SNMP Dell PowerEdge Physical Disk" sensor has only detected two disks out of 6, the two detected are SSDs, the other 4 are SAS 15k.

To try and resolve this I downloaded the Dell OMSA 9.3 MIBs, the iDRAC-SMIv2.mib includes the correct OIDs for storage related metrics: Controller: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.1 Physical Disk: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4 Virtual Disk: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.140.1 Enclosure: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.3

The PRTG built in discovery does not appear to detect these and bring in the hardware.

I tried doing this myself, I can create a custom SNMP sensor to target one of the relevant OIDs, this is an incredibly resource intensive process and doesn't yield the best results, for example the disk name and state are two OIDs which aren't part of a common branch. e.g. Name: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4.1.2.3 = "Physical Disk 0:1:2" [ASN_OCTET_STR] State: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4.1.4.3 = "3" [ASN_INTEGER]

I can't seem to find a way to bring both of these into one sensor so the name is automatically populated like the discovery sensor did for the two disks it did find, and do the appropriate lookup for the gauge. The MIB importer oidlib does produced from the MIB does not do this correctly either.

If I go to the effort of doing this manually for a server, I don't think I can template this to apply to other servers as different configurations will have different numbers of enclosures, physical, and virtual disks.

I effectively need to walk the specific OID trees and create a gauge for each physical disk, virtual disk, and enclosure with the correct lookups.

I would appreciate some guidance on both: Why the Dell discovery task isn't bringing in all the disks. How to use the Dell MIB OIDs to achieve this effectively in a way that can be templated for different server configurations.

Thanks,

Phill

controller dell disk idrac mib snmp

Created on Mar 19, 2020 1:52:53 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Phill,

Thank you for your response.

The naming issue in the SNMP Library sensor is most likely caused by a bug. We are working on a fix for this issue, but unfortunately we currently do not have a ETA yet.

The SNMP Custom Table sensor and the SNMP Custom Advanced sensor, have a limit of 10 channels. Unfortunately, this limit is hard set so you can not increase the number of channels.
The only solution that comes to mind is to split the physical disks into multiple sensors.

Created on Mar 23, 2020 6:57:28 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Phill,

Thank you for your post.

There are a few thing that you could try:
1) See if you can add the required results with a SNMP Library sensor.
2) You could try to add the sensor sing the SNMP CustomTable sensor.
3) You could try to create a SNMP Custom Advanced sensor, and create a device template with it. That way you may be able to add the sensors using the auto discovery.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 20, 2020 8:25:39 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sasa,

Thank you for the suggestions, I've already tried this as an SNMP library and it doesn't quite work.

I took the physical disk MIB branch 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4. Did a partial selection on the table columns: Physical Disk Name: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4.1.2 Physical Disk State: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4.1.4 Physical Disk Component Status: 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.5.1.20.130.4.1.24

I have correct lookup value template for these that I have created.

I can add the sensor, and I see the table of possible records to add, grouped by physical disk number. However, when I add them the "physical disk name" is created as a separate sensor, and the name of the sensor containing the two states instead has a name "enterprises / {1-2}".

I have more luck if I do this as an SNMP Custom Table because I can tell it to use the "Name" attribute as the sensor id and then create two channels for the gauges.

The issue with this is that the table supports only 10 records according to the user interface, some of these servers will have arrays with many more than 10 physical disks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Phill

Created on Mar 20, 2020 2:17:07 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Phill,

Thank you for your response.

The naming issue in the SNMP Library sensor is most likely caused by a bug. We are working on a fix for this issue, but unfortunately we currently do not have a ETA yet.

The SNMP Custom Table sensor and the SNMP Custom Advanced sensor, have a limit of 10 channels. Unfortunately, this limit is hard set so you can not increase the number of channels.
The only solution that comes to mind is to split the physical disks into multiple sensors.

Created on Mar 23, 2020 6:57:28 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sasa,

Thank you for the info, I will keep an eye on progress for this. Is there a bug reference page or something that I can keep an eye on for this issue?

I will just have to do this manually for now using the custom table sensor.

Thanks

- Phill

Created on Mar 23, 2020 10:15:12 AM

Votes:

Hello Phill,

The fix should be mentioned in the Release notes once it is done.

Created on Mar 23, 2020 11:31:34 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great stuff, thank you for your help.

Created on Mar 23, 2020 11:59:15 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.