What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I mitigate CVE-2020-10374 until I can update?

Votes:

I want to make sure that a remote code execution (RCE) of a UNC path on the PRTG core server system with the security context of the PRTG core server service (CVE-2020-10374) is not possible until I can update to PRTG versions as of PRTG 20.1.57.

cve-2020-10374 prtg remote-code-execution security

Created on Mar 23, 2020 9:33:59 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important notice: The information in this article only applies to PRTG installations that are reachable from the internet. Affected versions are PRTG 19.2.50 to PRTG 20.1.56.

What CVE-2020-10374 is about

With a carefully crafted POST request, a possible attacker can perform an RCE by executing a UNC path on the PRTG core server system with the security context of the PRTG core server service, without the need of an authenticated session.

By utilizing the what parameter of the screenshot function that is used in the Contact Support form in PRTG, for example, an attacker is able to inject a crafted, URI-compatible UNC path that is executed as part of the caller chain down to the Chromium engine to create the screenshot.

Note: As soon as you have updated to version 20.1.57.1745, your PRTG installation is not vulnerable to CVE-2020-10374 anymore and you do not have to perform the steps described below.

How to mitigate CVE-2020-10374

To mitigate the security issue, you have the following options.

Option 1: Web application firewall

If you have a web application firewall (WAF), you can block HTTP POST and GET requests that contain the what parameter, or you can delete or overwrite the what parameter.

Note: This process differs depending on the WAF you use. For detailed instructions, please refer to the respective product’s documentation.

Option 2: No web application firewall

If you do not have a WAF and if you do not need to generate any PDF reports for PRTG until you can update to the latest PRTG version, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System and rename the file reporter.exe to break the calling chain of the attack vector.

Note: This does not affect any major PRTG functionality. Generating screenshots and PDF reports, however, will not be possible until the PRTG update.

Created on Mar 23, 2020 9:44:45 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Mar 24, 2020 2:32:52 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.