What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Installing SNMP on an RHEL server without online connection

Votes:

Hi, I've been trying to install SNMP on a server (RHEL) that doesn't have outside connection (I cannot allow connection due to security reasons). So yum isn't available for me to install the net-snmp packages necessary to run the SNMP services. I've tried to manually install them by downloading the net-snmp tar.gz files but it seems like I can't use "service snmpd" commands (snmpd: unrecognized service) (this is critical because it can't establish a connection with the core PRTG server otherwise). I've also tried installing the .rpm file but it seems like it requires more dependencies to be downloaded online. (I got the .rpm file from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp/files/OldFiles/net-snmp-5.6.x/5.6.1-binaries/). My question is, did I get the right .rpm file? If so, what else do I need to download to get SNMP working? If not, is there any other way I can get the SNMP going?

Thank you!

net-snmp prtg rhel snmp

Created on Mar 24, 2020 5:00:35 AM

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.