What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Modifying custom devicetemplates

Votes:

Hello!

In .....\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates, I have created a new device Template for our company's Cisco devices. I have created a pingsensor and a snmpciscosystemhealth. Additionally, I want to add the snmptraffic sensor. By default, it add's all the ports as sensors to my device, but I only want to add the Stacking Ports and the ports with the description "Uplink ...". Is there a way, to modify the template?

My Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <devicetemplate id="custom" name="Cisco-Test-Template" priority="1">
    <check id="ping" meta="ping"/>
    <create id="pingsensor" kind="ping" requires="ping" displayname="Ping"/>
    <check id="snmp" meta="snmp" requires="ping"/>
    <check id="snmpciscosystemhealth" meta="snmpciscosystemhealth" requires="snmp"/>
    <create id="_snmpciscosystemhealth" kind="snmpciscosystemhealth" requires="snmpciscosystemhealth" meta="snmpciscosystemhealth"/>
    <create id="snmptraffic" kind="snmptraffic" meta="portscan" requires="snmp">
      <createdata>
        ???
      </createdata>
    </create>
  </devicetemplate>

code devicetemplate prtg snmp

Created on Mar 24, 2020 4:42:10 PM

Last change on Mar 25, 2020 5:01:18 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your post.

This is per design and can't be disabled natively, I'm afraid. With Traffic Sensors as part of a device template, PRTG will create sensors for each interface with data bigger than "0". This is also described in the corresponding manual.

In general, you cannot save all sensor settings and channel settings (for example, channel limits of dynamically created channels) of sensors that dynamically scan for available monitoring items when you add the sensor. This affects, for example, traffic sensors where you can choose interfaces that you want to monitor in the Add Sensor dialog.

This behavior cannot be changed. There might be a workaround for it but please note that we don't offer any technical support for this approach.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 25, 2020 8:10:41 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.