What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Server Up/Down Notifications

Votes:

What are people using to send notifications when a Server goes up or down? We have a shared instance of PRTG between our network team and server team. I am looking to setup notifications to only our server team from PRTG to notify a server is offline.

notifications prtg server windows

Created on Mar 26, 2020 6:48:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You need to define different notification templates for the different recipient groups under "Setup | Account Settings | Notification Templates".
Afterwards, you can define those notification templates as notification trigger actions for objects.
Please have a look at our Getting Started section for further information.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 27, 2020 4:05:30 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have Notification templates. The issue is I don't know what sensor to Notify on. I can't seem to figure out how to make one if the system stops pinging or something like that. I don't want every sensor going in an error state to trigger a Server Down alarm. Notifications on this platform seem to be overly difficult to configure in comparison to other software.

Created on Mar 27, 2020 4:12:05 PM

Votes:

I accidentally selected the wrong kind of trigger when I was in Ping. I have a State Trigger on Ping now with an appropriate Notification Template all is good now.

Created on Mar 27, 2020 6:47:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.