What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

vbs terminate IE

Votes:

Hi all,

I have written a custom vbscript which will call IE to get object. The script success get object and show on prtg. Only problem is that it would kill after the script completed.

We tried IE.quit but find it only work when user run it. IE.terminate is not work on vbs. If the script run by SYSTEM, then it would not work. Is anyone can share the experience for how VBS kill IE process opened by SYSTEM user? Thank you.

custom-sensor prtg vbs

Created on Mar 30, 2020 7:01:56 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi cheukieli,

It's also possible to run the script as another user. This can be defined in the settings of the EXE/Script Sensor. The corresponding setting is called "Security Context".

Created on Mar 30, 2020 8:05:49 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

I just tried and find even changed the user to other, the script process by PRTG is also not terminated. I test IE.quit is work if we manually run on server, but if it is run by PRTG, then it will not close. Not sure what behavior cause the different

Created on Mar 31, 2020 1:43:53 AM

Votes:

Hi,

I tested the following script and everything worked in the latest PRTG version:

Dim IE
Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Visible = 0
IE.navigate "https://google.com"
IE.Quit
Wscript.Echo "211:Quit_success"

Created on Mar 31, 2020 7:20:58 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.