What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Status Down - not emailing

Votes:

I am new to PRTG but I am a little puzzled.

System setup and running, servers, sites and other devices all been monitored, they show as down on the home screen and the servers email when they are down yet the sites don't.

What should I be looking for as we had a site down but no email this morning and PRTG clearly shows it was down from 4am and another monitor we use picked it up.

Where can I look to check this out?

down notification-email status

Created on Apr 1, 2020 9:39:05 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your post.

Do I understand you correctly that you do not get notifications only for some sensors?
If that is the case, please check if the sensors went down (if they correctly reported the error), and if they have any triggers set in their Notification Triggers tab.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2020 1:10:29 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa,

We have 4402 sensors and I cannot see any notification triggers setup, all seem to be inheriting but from where I am not sure.

Looking back at my alert emails we only appear to be getting ones on WMI Free Disk Space even though we have ping etc setup.

Regards

Created on Apr 3, 2020 8:19:20 AM

Votes:

Hello Matt,

I assume that all the Notification Triggers are inherited from the "Root" group. You can see the set triggers in this group by going to Devices>All and then click on "Notification Triggers". If the notifications are inherited by all the sensors, then the Ping sensors should be inheriting them as well (provided the inheritance is not interrupted in a Device Group or the Device).
For more information about how to configure notifications please see our video tutorial.

Created on Apr 3, 2020 1:45:55 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa,

I have created one at root now which works, is there a way to see all notification triggers in one place so I can work out where the WMI ones has been created as I cannot find it?

Thanks

Created on Apr 3, 2020 1:47:28 PM

Votes:

Hello Matt,

Unfortunately, there is no overview of all the notification triggers. But if you go to the "Notification Triggers" tab of the sensor you can check if the sensor is set to inherit the triggers (if the "Inherit all triggers from parent objects and use the triggers defined above" option is selected), and from what group they are inherited (on the right side of the trigger you can see the "Inherited from" part).

Created on Apr 6, 2020 7:56:36 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.