What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMWare Known Errors and Warnings

Votes:

After updating to version 20.1.57.1745, our VMWare known error and known warnings are no longer being respected, and the sensors are showing these warnings and errors anyway.

Is there a workaround for this issue?

esxi vmware vmware-host-hardware-status--soap-

Created on Apr 1, 2020 4:47:51 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

As of PRTG 20.1.57.1745 the "VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP)" sensors now categorize unknown states reported by the VMware host server as entity with its own sensor channel. Please note that an unknown state reported by VMware isn't a problem per se. It can mean that the VMware host is not able to provide information for a certain hardware states. For instance, a physically available memory slot which is currently unequipped would be reported as unknown state.

Now, the available sensor setting for "Known Warnings" is only purposed for actual warning states of the host server. Because of this, you encounter the sensors to show a new warning state after the PRTG update.

In this case, please switch the "Ignore Unknown States" setting within the sensor's "Settings" tab from the default option to "Do not show unknown states".

If you have multiple affected sensors, consider changing the setting globally using PRTG's multi-edit feature. To do so, please navigate to "Sensors | By Type | V... | VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP)" and select each affected sensor. You can now change the settings for all sensors at once.

Further information on this topic can be found in the corresponding release notes here.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 1, 2020 9:02:41 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian and thank you for your reply. The problem accorded after upgrading the ESXi version from 6.5 to 7.0.1, I did not upgrade the PRTG version which is 18.4.45.1898 x64. Furthermore, I cannot find "Ignore Unknown States" setting within the sensor's "Settings" tab. Please advise. Regards, Yaron

Created on Sep 9, 2021 6:52:28 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I would assume this is already the issue here.

Please note that ESXi version 7 got released in 2020 whereas PRTG version 18.4 was released in 2018. It's highly likely that both versions are simply not compatible with each other.

As we don't encounter any issues with ESXi version 7 under the most recent builds of PRTG, I recommend an update of it.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 10, 2021 12:03:47 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.