What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to import/sync DeviceTree from 3rd party service

Votes:

I had a look in the manual and knowledge base, but I can't find anything about. If I missed it, please give me a hint.

Our own proprietary system has already a tree structure and all necessary data of the devices, so we want to import it to PRTG to use it as device tree. Because the tree changes sometimes (adding/remove/move devices ), we want to synchronize the tree PRTG on a regular basis. The DeviceTree in PRTG should then be read only.

Our system is using a Rest API to promote the DeviceTree as JSON. Is there an interface in PRTG we can access with a importer script to map our tree to the PRTG Tree ?

We need to monitor several hundred machines, to keep the tree synchronized manually is not an option.

device devicetree import synchronization

Created on Apr 2, 2020 6:39:33 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately this is not possible in PRTG, you would have to rebuild the tree structure manually. You can add the devices with the Auto Discovery, by creating a Auto Discovery Group.

Perhaps you could do this with the PrtgAPI, a third party program that allows bulk adding of devices and sensors (among other things).

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 2, 2020 6:51:18 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.