What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Backup email monitoring through Office 365

Votes:

I currently have a PRTG set up in our local netwerk to monitor the backup mails we get on our office 365 mailbox. Our Office 365 is hosted in the cloud and I am having some troubles setting up a device/sensor for this.

I want the sensor to notify me if an email is different from the normal emails (for instance 4 vm's and their names)

I cannot seem to figure out how a device is setup to monitor the mailbox of an Office 365 cloud enviorement

Does anybody know if there is an extended manual explaining this? or maybe some helpful tips. My own knowledge of PRTG is very limited as this is the first setup i am making using PRTG.

device imap office365

Created on Apr 2, 2020 9:47:43 AM

16 Replies

Votes:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, we do not have a dedicated guide for how to set up Office 365 monitoring. The basic procedure is:
1) Create a device in PRTG with address (IP or DNS) of your mailbox server.
2) Add a sensor to this device. A IMAP Sensor should fit your requirements.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 3, 2020 6:33:05 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I'd like to bring that topic up again as I'm facing the same issue.

The question is: How do I setup a device for O365 cloud or ExchangeOnline to run an IMAP sensor?

Thanks, Joerg

Created on Apr 5, 2021 9:11:52 AM

Votes:

Hello Joerg,

We are currently working on a dedicated sensor for monitoring Microsoft 365 mailboxes. The sensor is expected to be release in one of the coming PRTG versions (21.x.68 or later). I would recommend keeping an eye on our release notes for any news regarding this sensor. For more information about what is planned for PRTG, please see our Roadmap.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 6, 2021 12:25:10 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sasa, This sounds very promising. I'll watch out for this. Many Thanks

Created on Apr 15, 2021 11:58:26 AM

Votes:

Hello PRTG-Team,

I'm wondering if this sensor has a planned release now.

Thanks, Joerg

Created on Oct 8, 2021 6:59:16 AM

Votes:

Hello Jorg,

Unfortunately, we do not yet have a release date for this sensor, since development takes longer than expected. However, we hope that we will be able to release it by the end of this year.

Kind regards,

Created on Oct 11, 2021 6:44:07 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi - Any ETA on this?

Created on Jan 12, 2022 11:22:18 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, no ETA yet.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 14, 2022 11:28:29 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Microsoft has announced the end of IMAP support for M365 mailboxes, so the IMAP sensor will stop working later this year.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Is there any new news on the M365 Mailbox sensor still in the "Working On" column in the roadmap?

Created on Mar 21, 2022 8:01:54 PM

Votes:

Still no ETA for the sensor.

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 23, 2022 8:15:00 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any updates on the sensor?

Microsoft decided that our tenant would be one of the Proactive Protection tenants. Where they disable basic auth before the October 1st deadline as a test. As a result of this the imap sensor stopped working.

Created on Jun 23, 2022 8:05:19 AM

Votes:

Just wanted to say: me too!

This feature becomes more and more relevant as on-premise mailboxes become less common in favour of M365. Please push the priority!

Created on Jul 5, 2022 7:34:47 AM

Votes:

The clock is ticking, down to less than three months before this IMAP sensor stops working! Please prioritize this effort!

Created on Aug 17, 2022 11:06:46 PM

Votes:

Hello,

A beta version of the Microsoft 365 Mailbox sensor is released in the latest PRTG version 22.3.78. So you can update your PRTG (if not done already) and try out the sensor.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 18, 2022 4:59:10 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there a documentation on how to set up Backup email monitoring through Office 365 using the 'Microsoft 365 Mailbox (NEW)' sensor? I don't seem to be getting there....

Created on Feb 13, 2023 2:31:01 PM

Votes:

You can find a example for this in point 4 of this article.

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 14, 2023 6:22:39 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.